Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Killing Floor, Time Traveller's Wife

Two books that I'm about to give up on.

The Killing Floor is the first of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books.  I read a couple of them a long time ago when I desperately needed something escapist, but they got too far-fetched for me (e.g. one book's plot relies on the killer hypnotizing people to commit suicide; the most cursory search will tell you it doesn't work that way).  But I heard that the first was the best, and audible offered it for free, and...  it's still too far-fetched for me.

It's too escapist and too solid at the same time, I think.  Child gives us a long info dump about how cash works in the economy (although his explanation of the danger of counterfeiting feels wrong to me), and that got me thinking about what happens to a small town economy when you dump millions of dollars into it (every business owner gets $1000/week).  You wouldn't end up with a gorgeous town; you'd end up with a town that looks like Weimar Germany, with hyperinflation out the wazoo.  And that gets me thinking, why bother dumping cash into the town?  Why not just threaten anybody who talks?  Or, for that matter, just keep the damn thing a secret, which is what they were doing anyway -- the recipients of the money don't even know why they're getting it.  And the more you think about it, the more it unravels, until the novel stops being fun.

Audrey Niffenegger's Time Traveller's Wife different.  She's a good writer, and I can't really complain about the quality of the book.  But it just squicked me out, so I'm bailing.  Horses for courses, as they say.

No comments: