Sunday, September 16, 2012

Books do Furnish a Room

Coming in to the final stretch of A Dance to the Music of Time, this is volume 10.  In the immediate post-war years, Nick Jenkins's acquaintances Quiggen and Craggs try to publish a literary journal.

As always with this series, I liked book 10, even though there's so much of the sort of thing that normally annoys me.  The plot, such as it is, is negligible.  We still never see Nick's wife Ysabel, even though the novel starts with her brother's death and she has a baby 2/3 of the way through.  In fact, we get very little of the interior Nick, even when his son is born.

And yet...  The characters that are present are so sharply drawn, and the prose is such a pleasure to hear, that I'm loving the series. Speaking of hearing the prose, I have to give props to Simon Vance, who does a great job of bringing these characters to life.

It's been a great ride so far, and I'm looking forward to the next two books.  (Audible packages them 3 together, so I'll be listening to them soon).

No comments: