Sunday, August 5, 2012

Turncoat, Princeps' Fury

Two books by Jim Butcher, about whom I've written a lot over the years.

As always, his plot-lines are great; he writes a good climax.  His writing has also steadily improved -- Turncoat never really made me cringe, and it had a couple of similes I quite liked.  His dialog is solid enough, even if there's still too much reliance on stock phrases.  (This tendency is worse in the Codex Alera series -- it's kind of ridiculous that, 10 years in, Kitai still calls Tavi "Aleran," or Max still calls him "Calderan."  This would be like my calling my wife "Bostonian," or my colleagues at work "Russian" and "Indian.")

One nice thing in Princeps' Fury is that Tavi makes a huge mistake; it's nice to see that he's as fallible as the others characters for once.  Although Issana and Bernard are still never wrong.

No comments: