Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Beekeper's Apprentice

I previously read one of Laurie R. King's "Mary Russell" books more than two years ago, so it was interesting to go back and re-read my comments in light of my latest read, The Beekeeper's Apprentice, which is the first of the "Mary Russell" books.

As I wrote then, Mary Russell should by rights be an unbearable Mary Sue.  She's (almost) as smart as Sherlock Holmes, physically very fit, a deadshot aim with a rock (which plays a role in two separate incidents in the novel), and manages to get Holmes off his cocaine habit just by meeting him.  And yet...  I enjoyed the novel quite a bit.  I couldn't even really say why. 

King gives us some nice chemistry between Holmes and Russell, and she doesn't try to have Russell over-shadow Holmes.  In fact, though Russell is shown to be very fast, in the end Holmes is still the lead.  (which makes sense, as he's got a leg up of 40 years' worth of experience).

Having said all that, I still find a little goes a long way, and I imagine it will be a while till I return to the Russell/Holmes duo.

No comments: