Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Justice, Butcher Bird

Two books that are hard to write about, but for opposite reasons.  Butcher Bird is a fun fantasy, and I liked the way author Kadrey worked with the Christian myths, but other than that there isn't much to say about.

Michael Sandel's Justice, on the other hand, has enough food for thought for more essays than I'm prepared to write, especially because I don't want this to be a blog about my political opinions.  I thought Sandel's exposition of Aristotelian ideas of telos was really clear, as was his discussion of Kant (but I'm not as familiar with Kant, so I can't say if it was correct, just that it was lucid).  I've never been a fan of utilitarianism, so I suppose I can't blame Sandel if he fails to make it seem an appealing philosophy, especially since he doesn't seem to be a big fan either.

No comments: